Saturday, October 8, 2011

Hello!
We have been enjoying everyday in Uganda so far!We have so many new friends who mean so much to us!! They make our lives easier in many ways and I am so grateful for them.
Today I prayed for a woman out in Nakataba village who is anemic and can no longer eat. She is dying slowly and they asked me to pray for her.  I held her head in my hands and asked for God to be with us, and give her mercy. Each day brings a whole new bag of learning experiences.  For the next 2 months we'll be traveling to different villages to teach them about hygiene, making crafts to sell, giving physical therapy if needed, and telling bible stories and our testimonies. It is tiring to meet so many new people everyday but I think eventually we'll get used to it.  In December, we'll live at the babies home in Bukaleba--there we have already made good friends with the babies and the "aunties" who work there. One of the Babies is named Esther.  She is 1 and she calls me mama. She reminds of Miss Bear ( my teddy bear) I just love her to death. I also made friends with tons of other kids. They are all so precious to me. Especially a two year old who is the same size as Esther. He has permanent nerve damage from a malaria treatment that he got in the form of a shot.  He should have gotten an IV drip instead but the doctor refuses to change his ways.
There are tons of issues like that, but we are learning to speak Lasoga and learn their ways--we don't want to come in imposing our views, but serve from the bottom up--we do try to keep the children safe though.  Everyone gets a kick out of the fact that Laura and I are learning Lasoga-- we know a good many words now and we can tell that people appreciate it. Our life is not physically demanding like we first thought it would be. We have running water at night and beds to sleep in.  In the day, we mostly talk to the women and children and then we eat lunch together.  The cooking methods are really interesting--cooking over a fire, and meat that has never been refrigerated...So far we have not gotten sick from it. Though we have frequent access to the internet, the power goes out a lot and different things come up so that it's not as regular as you would think.
I'm learning that so many things are done differently in Africa--there are so many delays and changes that what you expect to happen rarely ever happens like you think it will. I'm learning patience and to wait for things to take place. 
For example, our money transfer was supposed to be done two days ago, but we still haven't gone to the bank. I can't even explain why really-- just that the man who is going to take us got busy with some other things and will try again tomorrow. Even our friend Susan who is Kenyan said TIA (this is Africa)
I know God is teaching me a lot, even about the difference in my life from those who are around me. 
One of the things that I really want to help change is the nursing situation at the Babies home.  My dear friend Miriam is the nurse there and she works almost 24 hours a day 7 days a week.  There is only one other nurse who comes by occasionally to help.  When Miriam got malaria, she only stayed home a few days before returning to work.  But she was so sick, that she was soon hospitalized for 2 days because she hadn't rested.  The day she returned home from the hospital, she went back to work.. She is only 23 and she is an excellent nurse.  But she needs someone to work with her so she can go to sleep at night. I'm going to talk to Godfrey about this and see what he says-- but I pray that some help will come for Miriam. 
The babies home is a wonderful home for babies! But by American standards they have many needs. 
When a baby gets adopted, the aunties and Miriam are very sad because it's like losing a child of your own. But on the other hand, the child gets a life full of the care they need. There are many paradox's like that-- Uganda has a lot to offer, everyone seems to be so joyful. But on the other hand, some peole need a lot of help. 
For everyone who want a pictures-- we will get a camera in a few weeks and put some up!
Blessings to you!

ps. we have been giving cards and clothes away to our friends and the people we meet so thank you so much for your generosity and thoughtful gifts! they are really appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment